So you have finally started your wellness blog and now need to make your blog beautiful and reflect your awesomeness but there’s one problem, you can’t install a WordPress theme and are thinking of hiring someone to do it or you are just scared you might “break something”
Well, I reckon you learn how to do it yourself because it is really common for bloggers to outgrow a theme after a while not because the theme isn’t functional or because there’s anything wrong with the theme, they just feel ‘meh’
You don’t want to have to pay someone to do it every time do you? Installing a WordPress theme is really east even for not tech savvy people.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to install both a free and premium WordPress theme (step by step).
How to install a free WordPress Theme
1. Login to your WordPress dashboard
2. Click on appearance >> themes
3. On the themes page, click on the “add new” button at the top
4. On the next screen, select from featured, popular, latest, themes with specific features you like (feature filter) or search for a specific theme. Depending on what you want, you’ll find a theme or more you can use.
Note: you can search for themes before starting the procedure above. Choosing from this list of suggested free themes will help you cut out the distraction when you are ready to install your theme. All you’d have to do is search for the theme by name.
5. Click on the “install” button and your theme will be installed. (you’ll see a success message)
6. Click on live preview to see what your blog will look like after you activate the theme (optional)
7. Click on “activate” to activate your theme if you like how the live preview looks and that’s it!
Note: You might like any of these free feminine WordPress themes
How To Install A Premium WordPress Theme
Installing a premium WordPress theme is different from installing a free theme because premium themes cannot be found in the WordPress themes directory.
Follow the steps below to install your premium theme in less than 5minutes.
1. Download the zip file of your premium theme
2. Login to your WordPress dashboard
3. Click on appearance and then click on themes
4. On the themes page, click on the “Add new” button at the top (just like for free themes)
5. Instead of going on to select your theme as stated the procedure for installing a free theme, click on “upload theme” located at the top of the page
6. Click on choose file and choose the zip file you downloaded from your premium theme provider
7. Click on the install now button and you’ll see a success message. (like the procedure for installing free themes, you can preview it live or activate it.
8. Click on activate button and tah-dah! You have successfully activated your premium theme
Note that: The theme upload feature is only available for WordPress.org (self-host). If you are still using WordPress.com you won’t be able to upload your premium theme, so don’t make the mistake of buying one like others before you.
If you are an old blogger, this might seem like “obviously!” but while searching for my premium theme, I read some comments and found that some new WordPress.com bloggers had purchased a premium theme without knowing they couldn’t use it and were complaining that the info on theme didn’t say it was only for WordPress.org blogs.
If you really like a premium theme, the only way forward is to self-host your blog. See our guide on how to start a blog in 30minutes or less.
If you are worried about losing your content on WordPress.com, don’t be. Use our idiot proof guide to export your contents (including comments and photos) from WordPress.com to Self host.
I hope you found this super easy tutorial useful.